Thursday, December 11, 2014

The bygones

With no big releases around the corner, and my blog hitting the 200 page views mark, I just want to lay back and celebrate past movie trends this week. After all, those are sweet memories that remind me of childhood and the stress free happiness of the time!

Also, it's my birthday this week. So ahhh, I have all these mixed feelings. I miss being young and content. At the same time, I want to see all my hopes for the future fulfilled so I feel a strange curiosity to see it unfold.

Anyways, that was about me. Now, here's to those Bollywood memories for now that remind me of my childhood. Not all the memories, but the ones that made the most impact on me. The good and the bad, both ;)

Okay the first Bollywood trend that comes to my mind is the "Bunty aur Babli" collared kurti! I know it's weird, but I can't help it. For me that was the worst trend to catch up. It was great on Rani of course. She was a rebellious rural girl in the movie and those kurtas suited her image perfectly. But, hey I don't want to look rebellious rural! But, every store I went to piled up heaps of collared kurtas in front of me. I had to dig through those heaps to find that perfect, pretty collarless kurta. And, I am proud to say that  I never wore a single one of those kurtas no matter how much people flashed them in my face.


Although, I was just a little girl when "Hum aapke hain koun" came out, the image of Madhuri Dixit in her vivid purple, embroidered sari left a strong imprint in my mind. It was so flashy that it's hard to get the picture out of my mind even today after all these years. I remember my mom, aunt and all my relatives sporting those 3/4 sleeved blouses. It was big, but it's just that I never understood the trend back then. Well, I used to think that it is purely for aunties *ahem ahem*



Anyhow, it's not something that I tried myself but it was big and brings back good memories with it along with those sad feelings that come with the movie when Pooja dies. Nope, I'd rather think about "Joothe de do paise le lo" right now and that green and white lehenga. It sure stayed in my mind for a long time hehe.


Remember Kareena's sharara in Kabhie Khushie Khabie Gham? It was quite the rage. The stores sold shararas like hotcakes. I admit that I wore them too, except that I skipped the bollywood hot choli and wore them with tunics instead. The look however was quite boring to say the least. But, not to forget, I danced to "Bole chudiyan" so many times as a child, the song still rings somewhere in my mind.



But, my favorite look was that of Kareena Kapoor's from Jab we met! I just couldn't get over the salwar with the long tee look. It was so comfy, laid back and cool! I wore it like crazy back then and hell, I still wear it around the house...



Those were the days when bollywood used to set the trends. It was a small uniqueness or an innovative mix up that caught up with the masses due to it's perfect portrayal in a movie.

But, today it's hard to find a trend that catches on. Because, base line, Bollywood is now more about glamour than defining characters and story lines. It's about looking hot and following all the latest global fashion. Couture gowns, bikinis and anything else that is skin baring is hot in bollywood. It doesn't matter whether "Geet", "Simran" or "Bubli" would wear the outfit or not. And Bollywood fashion is currently hardly something that can go circulating about the stores around the corner. And, even if it did, would we be able to wear it?

Either way, it's only small nuances that we can pick up from today's movies. So, here is a cheers to the bygones. Do you have any such memories, if so, I'm curious to know what they are. Do share them in the comments.

P.S. Thank you everyone for being avid readers of my blog! I love you all. I hope to continue publishing interesting posts with all of you. Muah <3




No comments:

Post a Comment