Wednesday, October 22, 2014

This mismatched look simply rocks

Hiya folks! Here I go with my first review. Excuse me for any typos or mistakes. Hey, this is my first time afterall… And, I chose Khoobsurat for my first post simply because of it’s wacky styling.

When I first saw the posters and read the movie’s summary, nothing fell into place. I could make  no sense of how a middle-class physiotherapist and all the vibrant outfits jelled together. But, when I saw the movie, everything fell into place.


Sonam Kapoor’s dressing in the movie was all over the place. It didn’t have any one defined style. One minute she is all quirky and whacky in mismatched layers. Next thing, she is street chic. And later, she is boho. Her color palette too goes from earthy Indian shades to all the latest couture hues (Orchid!). I loved some of the looks and hated some. While some were easily wearable. Some were too randomly strewn together to be worn by anyone other than Mili.  But, Sonam Kapoor carried every one of them with such Ă©lan that the outfits each told a story of their own and thus helped build Mili.
Things that caught my eye were the slouchy look, bracelets, quirky prints, scarves, bright jackets and the sneakers! And, I love all of them. Although I would have preferred to see a definitive style on the character, I guess it all made sense on Mili . And hey, who doesn’t have their share of lazy days when their style goes out of the window (Well, I do. Please tell me that you do as well :P) 


Ratna Pathak Shah's wardrobe however could have been upped a notch. Perhaps her saris reflected the queen’s state of mind. But, even so, the dark hues overshadowed her personality. They could have been a tad more clean and fresh with the colors she wore.

And, Kirron Kher was a sweet heart as Manju. From her crisp dupattas to her silver jewelry, everything made her stand out as the perfect Punjabi mother. Whites, pastels and sunshiny colors made up her energetic personality.

Overall, every frame had a vibrancy to it, thanks to the styling. I could see that Karuna Laungani did the best that she could for Mili. I would love to borrow some of Mili’s outfits. Like the hi lo yellow shirt with the white trousers. Also, the Dhoti pants with the cropped jackets are simply muah! 



No comments:

Post a Comment